5.24.2010

Chicken or the Egg?

It's the perennial question - which came first....





















or...
some days its one way...other days...

A couple of years ago, I went to a going-out-of-business sale of a local bookbinder.  In addition to office supplies, reams of paper and a stunning letterpress printer, I asked if he had any extra type...."why yes, but why would you want type if you don't have the printer?"  He was thoroughly perplexed - sold me several trays filled with metal type of all sizes and fonts for a pittance.
an aside...ok, I actually thought about buying the letterpress printer - I adore old presses, typefaces, the embossed paper, the entire process.  But where to put it...we don't actually use our dining room so it could go there...but then the floor would need to be reinforced so the 2000 lbs+ machinery wouldn't crash to the basement floor...and then how would we get it through the door...later found out from a friend of my sister's (who was in the printing biz) that moving these monstrosities is a huge expense...I guess I dodged a bullet...

Over the years, I have been selling off the type, letter by letter...by now it seems to be the dregs.  So I thought that it would be fun to compose words from the remaining type, in hopes of dispensing all of it...these inspirational words (and more) are available at my space at Faded Elegance
I still have a few stragglers of random letters as well as plenty of punctuation...these remainders and a whole lot of ephemera will be for sale at my booth at the Artist Garage Sale on June 5 in Everett.  If you are looking for a good deal on some great art, or are an artist in need of some art supplies – this is the place to be! There will be a smorgasbord of art that includes: watercolors, oils, pastels, acrylics, glass, found objects, cards, sculpture, ceramics, photography, garden art and much more. Seconds, old stock, new stock – all at fabulous prices.  If you stop by my booth and mention that you read about the sale on my blog, there'll be a freebie for you...hope to see you there!

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails